Gus3232
Two months ago

Olympics coverage

Anyone out there got any idea of whether we will be able to see full Boomers/Opals games on the nine coverage? Or will be it be a case of signing up to something like Stan to make sure we can get it. Many years of Olympic watching experience has me very dubious that FTA will cut away from the games as often as they can to heat 35 of the 5000m for men or something.

Topic #52104 | Report this topic

JCK98  
Two months ago

9Now is doing the 40 individual event channels that 7plus did in Tokyo, so push come to shove there's that.

Apparently every event featuring an Australian athlete will get Nine's commentary as well.

Nine's basketball commentators are Brenton Speed (also doing women's soccer), Andrew Gaze and Jenna O'Hea

The benefit of Stan is 4K streaming, 8 international channels (only UK Eurosport, Sky Sport NZ and Viacom 18 from India in English) and extra previews (hired Shane Heal for that).

Reply #944470 | Report this post

LC  
Two months ago

The 2024 Olympic Games will be broadcast in Australia on more than 40 free-to-air channels under the Nine Network. You can also watch on-demand highlights for free after they've happened at your own convenience on its 9Now streaming platform. It can be accessed on your web browser or through your Smart TV, mobile or tablet after downloading the app.

Stan Sport will also broadcast all 329 Olympic events ad-free, live and on-demand in 4K Ultra HD, a first for Olympics overage in Australia. This includes full replays, highlights, daily talk shows hosted by ex-Olympians, and eight international / multi-language live channels.

Reply #944473 | Report this post

JCK98  
Two months ago

First Boomers game against Spain is listed as part of the 9Gem coverage on July 27.

06:00pm-10:30pm OLYMPIC GAMES - NIGHT Day 1
Nine's Day 1 Olympic Games coverage continues and may include: Rowing, Equestrian Eventing, Men’s Basketball Australia v Spain, Men’s Gymnastics, Men’s Skateboard Street. Live coverage continues from 6:00PM AEST.

Swimming heats seems to have priority on the main channel.

Reply #944476 | Report this post

AussiePride  
Two months ago

Thanks guys. I started having nightmares about this last night. I along with many here still suffer from PTSD from years of poor coverage right back to the days of Mel Dalgleish. You would get to see minor snippets of a key Boomers game only to miss out on most of the event due to an exciting game of field hockey between Britain and India which happened to be a dead rubber. The only bright spot was in the London Olympics where you could get on to the BBC website and see full games.
I definitely wouldn't be tuning into GEM on July 27 expecting to see any more than a couple of minutes of basketball action. I will be looking at the other options.

Reply #944479 | Report this post

AngusH  
Two months ago

Thanks for the info on Stan, I will definitely be signing up and not risking cutting away from the final 2 minutes of a close Boomers game to see a random swimming heat which happens to feature an Australian swimmer.

Reply #944482 | Report this post

SonicBoomer  
Two months ago

Holding off to see what 9Now offers up as the 7Plus stuff was pretty good last time around. Reckon we'll be good to get the three Boomers games in full via 9Now

Reply #944497 | Report this post

JCK98  
Two months ago

Some channel 9 propaganda on 9Now from their media kit:

9Now will lead Australian into a new era of Olympic streaming with a world class audience experience never seen before in an FTA Broadcast Video On Demand (BVOD) app.

Set to be the first Olympic broadcast on an Australia FTA BVOD app available in 1080p, 9Now will feature more than 40 individual channels, with every single Olympic sport screened on 9Now - and with over 2500 on-demand highlights, curated on an all new interface, will take viewers to the heart of Paris.

Beautiful Olympic moments will be brought from Paris into fans' living rooms in Full HD, 1080p, 50fps (frames-per-second) and 5.1 Dolby Surround Sound alongside the popular start over button to ensure you never miss the start of a big match.

And on Stan's coverage:

Stan will deliver Australians an unrivalled and uninterrupted streaming experience on Stan Sport to showcase Paris 2024. In a first for Olympic coverage in Australia, all 329 events at Paris 2024 will be available ad-free, live and on demand on Stan Sport with the biggest moments in 4K Ultra HD.

In a world first, eight live and exclusive international channels will also be available on Stan Sport, making the Olympics accessible to more audiences and communities in Australia than ever before. This includes tailored and curated official live Paris 2024 coverage from the UK, France, Spain, Italy, Germany and Greece in their native languages from Eurosport, plus live coverage from Sky New Zealand and Viacom18's official Indian coverage in English. This unique offering will, for the first time, provide communities with a comprehensive and culturally relevant Olympics viewing experience, only available on Stan Sport.

Viewers will have the choice between the largest range of Olympics coverage, including more than 40 individual sport channels, four exclusive feature channels crossing between the best action and an exclusive 24/7 Olympic News channel.

This extensive range of channels will be complemented by the most comprehensive on demand offering including replays, highlights and exclusive minis on Stan Sport ensuring Australians won't miss a minute of the action.

https://www.nineforbrands.com.au/wp-content/uploads/2024/07/OLYMPICS_MEDIAKIT_JULY01_RGB_FINAL-2-1.pdf

Reply #944503 | Report this post

koberulz  
Two months ago

Worth noting that 9Now is roughly the quality of VHS, so unless they're overhauling their platform it's worth looking elsewhere.

Reply #944528 | Report this post

Knockdown3  
Two months ago

AussiePride
"You would get to see minor snippets of a key Boomers game only to miss out on most of the event due to an exciting game of field hockey between Britain and India which happened to be a dead rubber"

Hahaha!
Im laughing so much....but only in hindsight.
The amount of times I almost kicked my foot through the TV during those agonising cut aways. Infuriating.

Thankfully the Boomers are more of a priority these days.

Reply #944590 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Two months ago

Oh the pain of yesteryear when we were forced to rely on one linear channel.

Thankfully these types of concerns are irrelevant now with streaming.

Reply #944620 | Report this post

Cram  
Two months ago

9 are saying the right things about 9now (seems they've have it available to "jump in" to a live event and catch up etc. But I'll believe it when I see it.

I rarely get to sit and watch a game for the full 2 hours uninterrupted so value the ability to start a game late and skip through adds etc. One of the things Kayo does surprisingly well.

I don't want to have to pay for Stan but if it looks like its not going well in the first couple of days will suck it up and pay for the month.

Reply #944868 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Two months ago

I can't imagine with the main Nine channel, the digital channels and 9Now they wouldn't be showing Boomers games in full or close to it. I assume Stan would probably just be for minor sports things like 3x3 too.

Reply #944873 | Report this post

Cram  
Two months ago

Yeah I want to see a lot of those other sports. Men's and women's volleyball (indoor and beach) and non-Australian basketball and football games in particular

Reply #944874 | Report this post

JCK98  
Two months ago

All the Australia 3x3 group games are mentioned in the 9Gem block listings (except the Azerbaijan game which is mentioned on 9)

All Boomers, Opals and USA men's games are mentioned in the 9 or 9Gem block listings as well.

Of course the curated coverage on FTA is likely to flick on and off, whereas the 9Now (and Stan) event channels will stick with it.

9 has said that 9Now will have everything but I think Stan would be a better experience if you're going to pause and rewind. 9Now does have a start over feature but skip back and forth except for that.

Reply #944982 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Two months ago

I dont trust FTA channels enough to give sensible coverage so I am just paying the extra and getting Stan Sports. Olympic basketball only comes along so often and I am not missing it.

Reply #944991 | Report this post

Cram  
Two months ago

Yeah. I took a look this morning on 9now so see how it all looks with the Day -2 action overnight and....just signed up for Stan sport. Already looks miles better.

I think for a lot of people who arent as concerned about seeing everything on demand etc 9now might be enough, but the adds already drove me crazy, and I think the stan sport interface is just easier.

Reply #945009 | Report this post

LC  
Two months ago

9Now is nowhere near as good as Stan... I'm paying

Reply #945011 | Report this post

hoopie  
Two months ago

And Foxtel is looking pretty useless in this regard too.

Reply #945014 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Two months ago

Not going to lie I'm using a pirated app with 10,000 worldwide channels including many in 4K.

Reply #945057 | Report this post

Drexler  
Two months ago

If you sign up for basic Stan for $12/month (SD) and add the sports package for another $15 p/month sports is always in HD/UHD. So $27 for a month seems to be as cheap as you can get for decent olympics coverage.

PW does this dodgy setup include Stan sports channels?

Reply #945076 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Two months ago

It includes some but not all Australian channels.

Doesn't matter though as Stan will be merely airing the official IOC world feeds in English that will also be broadcast by many other stations around the world so there will be plenty of options to choose from thanks to our friends who sail the high seas.

Reply #945120 | Report this post

koberulz  
Two months ago

Not at all impressed with Stan so far. Switching between LegoVision and buffering pauses.

Reply #945122 | Report this post

TrevorTorrance  
Two months ago

what's the website Perthworld?

Reply #945123 | Report this post

Drexler  
Two months ago

I'm leaning towards walking the plank now also

Reply #945128 | Report this post

Drexler  
Two months ago

Just doing the sums for channel 9 FTA olympics coverage - they are saying every event will be shown on 9 or 9GEM however here is the list of sports scheduled for ~7pm AEST today that does/might have Aussie participants;

Boomers vs Spain
Mens gymnastics
Mens singles badminton
Womens doubles badminton
Women's Synchronised 3m Springboard Final diving
Womens Fencing
Womens Equestrian
Mens Judo
Mens Rowing
Mens Skateboarding

And a tonne of swimming events;
Women’s 100m Butterfly (Emma McKeon, Alexandria Perkins)
Women’s 400m Freestyle (Ariarne Titmus, Jamie Perkins)
Men’s 100m Breaststroke (Sam Williamson, Josh Yong)
Men’s 400m Freestyle (Elijah Winnington, Sam Short)
Women’s 4x100m Freestyle Relay (Australia)
Men’s 4x100m Freestyle Relay (Australia)

There is no way I'm relying on FTA to show the entirety of the basketball tonight if there are only 2 channels...

Reply #945158 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Two months ago

what's the website Perthworld?

It's not free ($50 a year), app based and signups are via referral.

Reply #945161 | Report this post

Sebastian  
Two months ago

Absolutely nothing wrong with the 9Now basketball channel for free

Reply #945357 | Report this post

Drexler  
Two months ago

I stand corrected then good work 9!

Reply #945359 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Two months ago

Yeah, I didn't buy it for the Olympics just to clarify.

Reply #945360 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Two months ago

Nine was excellent, great coverage, no commercial and neutral commentary.

Reply #945361 | Report this post

Drexler  
Two months ago

Stan was good too no buffering. Swishes, dunks and coaching staff expletives were extra loud and proud

Reply #945362 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Two months ago

Germany by 20.

Reply #945363 | Report this post

UseTaHoop  
Two months ago

https://www.hoops.com.au/forum/52104-olympics-coverage/#p944528

I'm back for the Olympics. KR that was a Coca Bottoers Beauty.

Reply #945379 | Report this post

UseTaHoop  
Two months ago

KR: lWorth noting that 9Now is roughly the quality of VHS, so unless they're overhauling their platform it's worth looking elsewhere."

A Coca Cola bottlers Beauty

Reply #945380 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 9:36 am, Sun 8 Sep 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754