MaxM
Two months ago

Boomers vs USA, 15th April

2am AEST on Kayo and ESPN.

Should give us some good insight into some proper looking rotations and gameplay here, without running many of our proper sets.

What's a pass mark here? Seeing as Canada lost by 14, I think staying competitive and a loss within 20 points is acceptable.

Topic #52099 | Report this topic

Zodiac  
Two months ago

Interestingly some in the USA are viewing this game as more of a true workout for the USA than the Canada game because we play a more FIBA style where as the Canadians play more like the USA.

I hope we are able to make a contest of it but I think Goorj is smart enough to know it's better to hold things back for the real games. No point showing your hand in an exhibition game against an opponent we probably won't even play against at the Olympics.

At least Durant won't be playing and Kawhi has pulled out of the Olympics as well.

Reply #944241 | Report this post

Damo 75  
Two months ago

15 July

Reply #944249 | Report this post

+  
Two months ago

this will be one of the best quality Olympic basketball tourneys for a while all top end teams M & F.

Reply #944250 | Report this post

Patty"TheGOAT"Mills  
Two months ago

I hope we are able to make a contest of it but I think Goorj is smart enough to know it's better to hold things back for the real games. No point showing your hand in an exhibition game against an opponent we probably won't even play against at the Olympics.

Boomers were disappointing in their warm-up game last year. But many said warm-up games were just practice. But nothing changed in the World Cup. The lineup, rotation, Tactics and Strategy were all poor.

Reply #944254 | Report this post

Patty"TheGOAT"Mills  
Two months ago

Starters
Giddey
Mills
Daniels
Kay
Landale

Giddey-Mills-Kay
The lineup that failed at the World Cup is back. Again, using three of the worst defenders together.
A stupid decision

Reply #944259 | Report this post

MaxM  
Two months ago

Yeah I really don't like that lineup.

Reply #944260 | Report this post

Patty"TheGOAT"Mills  
Two months ago

Really bad defense.

Reply #944261 | Report this post

Patty"TheGOAT"Mills  
Two months ago

Giddey-Mills-Kay

They can't play defense. Boomers coaching staff is truly terrible. This is a crazy coaching staff that uses double teams against the USA.

Reply #944262 | Report this post

Patty"TheGOAT"Mills  
Two months ago

The worst player in the first quarter was Mills. When he's on the floor, the team defense is at its worst.

Reply #944263 | Report this post

Patty"TheGOAT"Mills  
Two months ago

Mills FG 0-2 / 3PT 0-1 / 1 REB / 1 AST / 1 TOV / 1 PF / -12

Reply #944264 | Report this post

rjd  
Two months ago

Youtube stream
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=keiEr_MOaSQ

Australia not looking so bad, but USA casually dominant. Landale looks good. Giddey repeated aggressive drives, but he's mostly unproductive and doesn't actually create much at all. Mills not providing anything yet. Giddey and Mills starting together.

Reply #944265 | Report this post

Patty"TheGOAT"Mills  
Two months ago

The best players in the first quarter are Daniels and Landale.

Reply #944266 | Report this post

rjd  
Two months ago

USA look like they've already scouted the one play from Goorjian's playbook.

Reply #944267 | Report this post

Patty"TheGOAT"Mills  
Two months ago

When Mills is on the floor, the USA scores easily. Without Mills on the floor, the USA has a hard time scoring.

Reply #944268 | Report this post

Patty"TheGOAT"Mills  
Two months ago

Boomers struggle on defense. However, Thybulle, the Boomers' best defender, was not selected.

Reply #944269 | Report this post

MaxM  
Two months ago

Jesus Patty

Landale clearly our best in the first half, great to have him back. Giddey also been dynamic.

Reply #944270 | Report this post

MaxM  
Two months ago

Duop only 2 mins in the first half is interesting, but to be fair Magnay has been good in his minutes. Same play style as Landale makes it easier to plug him in.

Reply #944271 | Report this post

Patty"TheGOAT"Mills  
Two months ago

The worst player in the first half was Mills. He's terrible on offense and defense.

Patty Mills
0 PTS (FG 0-4, 3P 0-3) / 1 REB / 2 AST / 2 TOV / 1 PF / -19

Reply #944272 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Two months ago

I just dont think Boomers Patty will be showing up this year. He's been absolutely woeful. We wouldve been better off with literally any of the guards we kept home - Thybulle, Goulding, DJ. You name it.

Id actually like to see Delly out there. 16 points down at the half and that's probably being kind. We've had patches of looking good but we e clearly not mixing it with them as well as Canada did. No doubt things are being held back but we dont look like we've got enough tools to stick with the better teams. Patty needs to start hitting shots or stay on the bench. Thanks for the4 bronze Patty. Ill always respect you for it. But it's over man.

Reply #944273 | Report this post

MaxM  
Two months ago

Need more offensively than Giddey/Landale pick and roll.

Reply #944274 | Report this post

Patty"TheGOAT"Mills  
Two months ago

The whole world knew during the last World Cup that Kay couldn't play defense.

Reply #944275 | Report this post

rjd  
Two months ago

Daniels getting a lot of minutes and doing alright. Hitting some shots and very active defensively.

Reply #944276 | Report this post

Patty"TheGOAT"Mills  
Two months ago

Mills is not on the floor. Team defense runs.

Reply #944277 | Report this post

MaxM  
Two months ago

Nice 10-0 run. Magnay a difference maker.

Reply #944278 | Report this post

MaxM  
Two months ago

Defence looking really nice here. Active and forcing turnovers. USA are just pretty damn good lol

Reply #944279 | Report this post

Patty"TheGOAT"Mills  
Two months ago

Boomers need a 7 footer. They have trouble rebounding.

Reply #944280 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Two months ago

Well if we're looking for moral wins, we won that third quarter by 1 point. Incredibly messy game. Cant imagine either team will be turning up quite like this at the Olympics. Magnay has justified has selection.

Reply #944281 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Two months ago

"Boomers need a 7 footer. They have trouble rebounding."

Theyre playing against the best athletes in the world, I feel theyve rebounded very well considering. Most teams wont present like this

Reply #944282 | Report this post

rjd  
Two months ago

Daniels making a solid claim for Mills's starting spot

Reply #944283 | Report this post

MaxM  
Two months ago

Loving the effort in the second half. USA slightly taking foot off the gas but our defence looks nice with Landale back as the anchor.

Giddey needs at least Green/Exum/Daniels on the court at all times, if not multiple.

Reply #944284 | Report this post

Patty"TheGOAT"Mills  
Two months ago

Watching Mills play is truly painful.

Reply #944285 | Report this post

rjd  
Two months ago

How many times has Australia beaten the USA in the 4th quarter?

Reply #944286 | Report this post

MaxM  
Two months ago

4/17 threes. Few of those and it's a different story.

Overall a really positive result for us.

Reply #944287 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Two months ago

Down by 23 at one point, to come wirthin 6 at the end and give ourselves a chance to win that game was frankly incredible. I think we can have a little more confidence in our chances moving forward. There were periods where we made their offence look absolutely shellshocked in that second half. The world has been put on notice. You DO NOT shut down a team like that without being a genuine problem and looks like once again we very well might be. Over the moon about this one.

Reply #944288 | Report this post

MaxM  
Two months ago

Daniels and Magnay shut up a lot of people today. Both great additions.

Has Magnay moved to first big off the bench status ahead of Reath?

Reply #944289 | Report this post

McBlurter  
Two months ago

Mills can no longer start

Delly proved a viable selection, he changed the tempo on defence

Daniels played in a way I hope he grows from this.

Landale, Exum, Green and Giddey showed they are pros

As far as Reath goes, I hope it's more of a case it's a card they're not playing.

Overall competition side, the boomers scored 57 in the 2nd half, I don't think that's reflective of the USA, but I do think it will add confidence to the Boomers vs everyone else.

Let's hope Serbia don't shatter it

But the main lesson;

Mills can no longer start

Reply #944290 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Two months ago

"Has Magnay moved to first big off the bench status ahead of Reath?"

Yeah thought that a bit weird but they may have preferred Magnay's defense in this match up.

Reply #944291 | Report this post

Patty"TheGOAT"Mills  
Two months ago

To be honest, the fourth quarter was not a meaningful game. If the US had done their best until the end, they would have finished with at least a 20 to 30 point lead.

But it is true that the Boomers played well today.
Daniels, Landale, and Magnay were the best players.

Reply #944292 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Two months ago

It pays to remember that both teams would be holding things back. i cant imagine Reath and Green playing so sparingly in the real thing.

I think delly is way more playable than Partty right now btw.

Reply #944293 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Two months ago

I also want to add we spent most of the gamew playing pretty poorly, it was only really in patches in the third and then the end of the fourth that we looked to have things clicking. We're still not quite there yet but this encourages me to think we could get there. its a result on par with (actually closer than) Canada achieved which should give some promise as to how we might do in our pool.

Reply #944294 | Report this post

Patty"TheGOAT"Mills  
Two months ago

Green was in foul trouble.

And Goorj doesn't seem to prefer Reath in the Boomers.

Reply #944295 | Report this post

Weedy Slug  
Two months ago

Mighty effort. Was pleased with the progress and they did I not give up this time.

Reply #944296 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Two months ago

For all the Kay knockers, he was plus 1, Mills and Reath the two that were very poor. If the coaches have the gumption to play who is performing the best and not past performances boomers should get through the group of death. Really pleased that Daniel's played well as he was good during warm ups.

Reply #944303 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Two months ago

I don't think it's fair to say reath was very poor. They only played him 2 minutes.

Reply #944312 | Report this post

Patty"TheGOAT"Mills  
Two months ago

I don't think it's fair to say rest was very poor. They only played him 2 minutes.

I agree. It seems that Dunkman didn't actually watch the game and only checked the box score. Reath couldn't do anything for two minutes and could only watch his teammates' poor play.

Reply #944314 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Two months ago

I don't want to take any fools gold from the game. I just think it's clear we improved as the game progressed and won the second half against a team that is far more talented than any other we will play against. I'm not sure how it translates to what we will see in the pools but I think you'd take a close game any day of the week with USA. It's not as though they could've done too much more than what they did.

Reply #944315 | Report this post

Patty"TheGOAT"Mills  
Two months ago

Among the current Boomers bigs, Kay is the player with the best off-the-ball movement. That's the difference between Kay and Reath.
However, the concern is that Kay is very slow on defense and will not be able to guard anyone on the perimeter due to his poor athleticism and short wingspan. In the end, just like last year's World Cup, he will be a target for the opposing team in this Olympics.

Reply #944316 | Report this post

Patty"TheGOAT"Mills  
Two months ago

But KD did not play today.
The best player on the Dream Team is KD.

Reply #944317 | Report this post

Patty"TheGOAT"Mills  
Two months ago

What is certain is that even if Mills scores 20 points tomorrow, he should not be the starter.
Now he has to become Spurs Patty.

Reply #944318 | Report this post

MaxM  
Two months ago

Looks like it'll be Kay/Magnay with the job on Giannis. I like that.

Reply #944324 | Report this post

hoopie  
Two months ago

Only inside the key - they don't have the foot speed to cover him anywhere else.

Reply #944328 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Two months ago

It's one warmup game.

I fear Euro teams are going to rip us a new one.

Reply #944330 | Report this post

Patty"TheGOAT"Mills  
Two months ago

I fear Euro teams are going to rip us a new one

Giddey - Mills - Kay

With this lineup, it's possible.

Reply #944332 | Report this post

bazza99  
Two months ago

We did better than I expected. That lack of 3 point shooting is a major flaw and will bring us undone when we're not allowed to score in transition as freely as we did this morning. Landale was immense, thought Dyson also played very well. Giddey was good but you'd love to see more of the layups go down. Zero perimeter shooting but we knew that based on the players they chose.

Reply #944334 | Report this post

retired  
Two months ago

USA took the foot off the peddle.

Mills unfortunately needs to retire and so does Goorijan.

Bring in new player and Coach.

Current Asst Coaches not up to the Head Coach level.

Reply #944335 | Report this post

Patty"TheGOAT"Mills  
Two months ago

That lack of 3 point shooting is a major flaw

This is the decisive reason why the Boomers did not advance to the quarterfinals of the Paris Olympics. Also, there is no scorer.

Reply #944337 | Report this post

Hooping  
Two months ago

Delly on fire in 4 minutes +8 2 rebounds, 2 assists, 1 steal and good defensive and good rotations with McVeigh on.

Reply #944338 | Report this post

Patty"TheGOAT"Mills  
Two months ago

Delly on fire in 4 minutes +8 2 rebounds, 2 assists, 1 steal and good defensive and good rotations with McVeigh on.

If Mills continues to play poorly, Mills time should decrease and Delly time should increase.

Reply #944339 | Report this post

Kingston  
Two months ago

Hypothetically/technically, could changes still be made to the 12 at this stage being that the Olympics haven't started? Whether it be due to an injury or replacing a player based on need?

I know it's been talked to death, but watching that game I couldn't help but get frustrated multiple times thinking 'How in the bloody hell is a fit Matisse not in this squad?!'. It won't happen but it should be a straight swap for Joe.

Also getting the feeling Goorjian won't play Reath many minutes in Paris...SMH.

Reply #944340 | Report this post

MaxM  
Two months ago

Our biggest flaw that game was 3pt shooting... so how do you look at that and think "we need Matisse"?

Dyson Daniels is a better on ball defender and offers more offensively.

Move on people. Matisse isn't coming. Just support the team as it is.

Reply #944341 | Report this post

Patty"TheGOAT"Mills  
Two months ago

Our biggest flaw that game was 3pt shooting... so how do you look at that and think "we need Matisse"?

So the Boomers did not select Thybulle and Cooks, multi-position defenders with a weakness for 3PT. Although Thybulle and Cooks are no longer on the team, the Boomers still have a weak point when it comes to 3PT.

If Ingles plays 3 minutes and cannot shoot, assist, or defend, I think it would be better for Thybulle to play 3 minutes and play defense instead of Ingles.

Reply #944345 | Report this post

Crazy8  
Two months ago

Except Ingles can shoot and playmake. That's exactly why he was chosen over Thybulle.

We have 3 athletic wing defenders (Green, Exum, Daniels) that fill a similar role as Thybulle.

One of them had to go and it was him. I don't think it's as big a selection shock as being played out in the media.

And for those with very strong opinions about Mills. Remember, it was the same people with very strong opinions that Giddey wasn't in our best squad, and Daniels and Magnay selection was a blunder. What a difference a game makes.

I think after a very small sample size we are seeing an insight into why the selectors made their decisions.

Reply #944347 | Report this post

BigD  
Two months ago

All this talk that Thybulle is some legendary all world defender who would make all the difference is out of touch. In all reality:
He had an opponent FG% of 48.1% when he was the primary on-ball defender, this was below the league average.
His defensive rating is 115.1, again below average at rank 411 of 572 players.
No one is saying he's a bad defender, but let's not hype him up beyond what he actually is, especially with his offensive limitations, this was a guy who averaged only 1.7 drives per game after all.

On the topic of defence, one player who was even worse defensively on that team was Reath, he's a traffic cone and might explain his minutes, or lack of.

Reply #944348 | Report this post

Kingston  
Two months ago

"We have 3 athletic wing defenders (Green, Exum, Daniels) that fill a similar role as Thybulle....One of them had to go"

None 'had' to go. All 4 should be have been in the 12.

Regardless, I was just asking the question out of curiosity. If there was an injury or something else occurred in the lead up to Paris, can players be called into the squad or are the squads locked in regardless of injuries, etc.

When Baynes got injured in Tokyo, did we choose not to replace him? Or were we unable to?

Reply #944350 | Report this post

Patty"TheGOAT"Mills  
Two months ago

When Baynes got injured in Tokyo, did we choose not to replace him? Or were we unable to?

Roster changes are not possible while the competition is in progress.

Reply #944353 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Two months ago

I'm with you MaxM, move on Thybulle doesn’t add anything to last nights game, all punter are allowed opinions but it is time to move on.

Reply #944356 | Report this post

Crazy8  
Two months ago

What's the point of taking 4 of the same mould if 1 of them plays limited minutes and one plays garbage time.

With Ingles we at least have a different option as needed.

On the Reath side of things, I would suggest his minutes will change a lot depending on match ups, and USA wasn't his right match up.

Reply #944357 | Report this post

Crazy8  
Two months ago

What's the point of taking 4 of the same mould if 1 of them plays limited minutes and one plays garbage time.

With Ingles we at least have a different option as needed.

On the Reath side of things, I would suggest his minutes will change a lot depending on match ups, and USA wasn't his right match up.

Reply #944358 | Report this post

Big Fudge  
Two months ago

Would a lineup / rotation like this work for the Boomers?

PG - Giddey / Delly / Mills
SG - Green / Exum / Mills
SF - Daniels / McVeigh / Ingles
PF - Reath / Kay / McVeigh
C - Landale / Magnay

I know it means little minutes for Ingles and Mills, but to be fair their time could be up... could throw them in and see how they fare and if neither of them have it going then let them sit.

Granted I didnt watch last nights game, but that starting lineup for me looks a bit better than having Mills/Kay on the floor with Giddey.

Just a thought... and wonder what others think?

Reply #944360 | Report this post

MaxM  
Two months ago

I think aside from Greece who have Giannis and Papagiannis, I don't think we'll need to ever go for two of Reath/Landale/Magnay on court together for long periods.

Kay was good against the USA, coaching staff have done a good job at minimising his slow feet and letting him play to his strengths.

Watching the game back today, he also had some solid iso possessions where he forced some Anthony Edwards misses.

Looks like he's got the starting 4 spot locked up, but Patty just has to go to the bench.

Reply #944361 | Report this post

Kingston  
Two months ago

Like it Big Fudge. Mills minutes really need to be reduced significantly. I can see him getting hot at times in Paris, but it has to be as a impact player off the bench.

C: Landale / Reath
PF: Reath / Kay / Mcveigh
SF: Daniels / Mcveigh
SG: Green / Exum / Mills
PG: Giddey / Exum / Mills

Reliable 3 point shooting remains a concern but Green, Exum and Reath's NBA stats show that it can be done. Hopefully Mcveigh hits them like he did against China.

Respectfully, I hope we don't see too much of Delly, Magnay and Ingles unless its junk minutes (unlikely in our death group), injuries or serious foul trouble.

Reply #944364 | Report this post

Kingston  
Two months ago

Like it Big Fudge. Mills minutes really need to be reduced significantly. I can see him getting hot at times in Paris, but it has to be as a impact player off the bench.

C: Landale / Reath
PF: Reath / Kay / Mcveigh
SF: Daniels / Mcveigh
SG: Green / Exum / Mills
PG: Giddey / Exum / Mills

Reliable 3 point shooting remains a concern but Green, Exum and Reath's NBA stats show that it can be done. Hopefully Mcveigh hits them like he did against China.

Respectfully, I hope we don't see too much of Delly, Magnay and Ingles unless its junk minutes (unlikely in our death group), injuries or serious foul trouble.

Reply #944365 | Report this post

Ben  
Two months ago

Insta, Reddit and Patty"TheGOAT”Mills still wildly jerking for Matisse. It's incredible.

Reply #944366 | Report this post

Crazy8  
Two months ago

I'll bet my sock draw that Patty will drop 15 today on 50%+ from the field and everyone will be calling for the next persons head.

Reply #944367 | Report this post

word14  
Two months ago

Ben, if I had a dollar for every Insta comment I've seen about Thybulle, I'd be richer than him! I get people are passionate but it's beyond insane at this point

Reply #944368 | Report this post

Patty"TheGOAT"Mills  
Two months ago

@Ben - You are so stupid.
I am not an Instagram fanatic.
I explained why Thybulle should be on the team.
And I included Kay in my squad even when he was criticized.
I will not say more about Thybulle.
After all, you only see what you want to see and hear only what you want to hear.

Reply #944374 | Report this post

Patty"TheGOAT"Mills  
Two months ago

I'll bet my sock draw that Patty will drop 15 today on 50%+ from the field and everyone will be calling for the next persons head.

That's how the Boomers win.
Giddey and Mills are probably the worst defenders at the Paris Olympics. That's why they need to score goals efficiently.
And it is correct that Mills plays from the bench.

Reply #944375 | Report this post

Patty"TheGOAT"Mills  
Two months ago

Kay was good against the USA, coaching staff have done a good job at minimising his slow feet and letting him play to his strengths.

no. USA did not target Kay intensively. Because there is no need to do that in warm-up games. In fact, in last year's World Cup warm-up game, opposing teams did not target Kay.
Ultimately, in the actual Olympics, the opposing team will target Kay and Mills.

Reply #944376 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Two months ago

Troll.

Reply #944381 | Report this post

ozehooper  
Two months ago

Gives me the sh*ts how everyone shoots the lights out against the Boomers. Even LeBJ was hitting in the 1st.

Goorj better play Reath.

Reply #944390 | Report this post

Yup  
Two months ago

**Boomers vs. USA Game Recap**

- **Non-Patty Mills Minutes:** The Boomers performed particularly well during the minutes without Patty Mills on the court, maintaining good flow and defensive integrity.

- **Defensive Lineup:** The defensive lineup was impressive, particularly the 3rd Quarter.

- **Solid Contributions:** Jack McVeigh and Delly had a notable impact off the bench, Magnay very solid.

- **Shit the bed:** Duop Reath 2 minutes of blunders and Goorj bury's him, not Duop’s matchup today

Notables

- **Dyson Daniels:** 20 MIN, 14 PTS, 3 STL, -4 +/-
- **Nick Kay:** 24 MIN, 7 PTS, 3 REB, +1 +/-
- **Jock Landale:** 27 MIN, 20 PTS, 7 REB, 6 AST, +1 +/-
- **Patty Mills:** 22 MIN, 5 PTS, 3 REB, 2 AST, -16 +/-
- **Josh Giddey:** 27 MIN, 17 PTS, 8 REB, 7 AST, -3 +/-
- **Jack McVeigh:** 11 MIN, 9 PTS, +1 +/-
- **Duop Reath:** 2 MIN, 0 PTS, -9 +/-

Reply #944398 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 10:11 am, Sun 8 Sep 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754