CoachGirl
Earlier this year

Opals v China G2

Its a showcase of Australian talent against a tired and out of sorts Chinese team. Tough calls for the coaches, I'm not going to put money on who will make final team, but for what its worth, here is who i would take:

Rocci/ Melbourne/Whitcomb
Talbot/Borlase
Allen/Atwell (plays minimal D, but can be relied on to throw it in, so a bit different)
Magbegor/ Smith/Garben
Jackson/Tolo.

Am 100% sure this wont be the team, happy to debate though

Topic #52081 | Report this topic

Luuuc  
Earlier this year

Atwell is not the greatest on-ball defender but she has been super-active and created some extra possessions. I'd love to see her in the final 12 just as I was stoked to see McVeigh in the Boomers.

I like your team. I wouldn't object to Reid being in for Rocci.

Reply #943654 | Report this post

CoachGirl  
Earlier this year

Its a tough one.. is Wallace better? Rocci has better outside shot than Reid, who's size really is limiting. I doubt that either if them will get selected, but they both bring more than older, slower and injury prone veterans who will surely be given yet another opportunity.

Reply #943655 | Report this post

Grimace  
Earlier this year

I like your 12 but there's no way they aren't going to take George and Magden if fit

Reply #943656 | Report this post

Hooping  
Earlier this year

Yes a very difficult decision especially with 7 players not here.

I wouldn't select George or Whitcomb. I think both are on the slide now, Whitcomb shooting been horrid and she is high volume shooter. There is already enough experience in the team.

Add Reid but probably too many guards now. I think they need a lights out shooter like Atwell for when Allen is not firing. Wallace is probably needed for the defensive role. George can easily get selected on past performances.

Melbourne/Madgen/Reid
Talbot/Borlase/Wallace
Allen/Atwell
Magbegor/Smith
Jackson/Tolo

Sandy is probably just waking up from a big July 4th celebrations. Pretty poor that they are naming the team tonight, I guess it gets it over and done with but sort of gives the impression that this week didnt really matter, especially if Jackson/Tolo/Madgen/George/Borlase plus 7 wnba players get selected.

Plus Sandy doesnt have to do the non-selections in person.

Reply #943657 | Report this post

retired  
Earlier this year

Madgen should be first one dropped.

Does not do aything to justify selection.

Probably only that Brondello likes her she gets selected-Past it

Reply #943659 | Report this post

CoachGirl  
Earlier this year

To be fair, I've thought that about Madgen for about a decade. Just think others bring more actual on court contributions to whatever the coaches see off court. We all see different things. I’d like to see some balance in planning for the future, should have to select more minimum 4 players who will probably play on next Olympics... that would probably not be Jackson, George, Whitcomb, Tolo, Madgen, Kunek,

Reply #943660 | Report this post

Weedy Slug  
Earlier this year

I assume

Melbourne
Whitcomb
Wallace
Borlase
Madgen
Talbot
Allen
Smith
Magbegor
George
Tolo
Jackson

My pick, would have had...

Melbourne CG
Whitcomb CG
Swain CG
Wallace CG -scrapes in ahead of Reid/Rocci
Borlase SG
Atwell SF
Talbot SF
Allen CF
Smith PF/C
Magbegor PF/C
Tolo C
Jackson C

Madgen, George out.
Kunek, Garbin reserve for this team.
Rocci, Reid, Aokuso 2025> replace vets.

Reply #943662 | Report this post

hoopie  
Earlier this year

Your preferred team would be my team too, Weedy, for the same reasoning

Reply #943675 | Report this post

Baller23  
Earlier this year

The team is meant to be announced today right?
Will be some hard cuts no matter how it gets selected. Dont envy the coaches at all.
Personal view is Sami and Wally are not what the team needs. Would love to see Rocci make the group as she certainly showed she belongs there this week. I guess time will tell.
Steph Reid seems to hang on to the ball too long for my liking. It's challenging even as a spectator to put it together with the WNBA crew not involved in this part of the process. Not sure big Zitina is ready but she is a future Olympian I am sure. Also not sure where she fits ahead of the more experienced bigs.

Reply #943676 | Report this post

Weedy Slug  
Earlier this year

After this Olympics, it's 2025 asia, 2026 WC, 2027 asia cup, 2028 Olympics so I’m thinking quite a few changes will happen after this year and new blood introduced.

Eg
Melbourne(02)
Whitcomb(88) > Reid(96)/Rocci(98)
Wallace(96) > Swain(03)
Borlase(04)
Madgen(90) > Atwell(98)
Talbot(94)
Allen(92)
Smith(96)
Magbegor(99)
George(89) > Garbin(94)
Tolo(89) > Aokuso(98)
Jackson(81) > Scherf(96)

Others
Heal(01)
Amoore(01)
Hall(07)
Shelley(00)
Deas(06)
Clark(05)
Sharp(97)
Potter(02)
Shiels(06)
Bibby(98)
Horvat(98)
Maley(98)
Puoch(04)
Bourne(01)
Somfai(07)
Etc
Clearly centre depth gonna be an issue, can see smith/magbegor playing natural wnba position with smaller 6’2-6’3 pfs entering.

Reply #943677 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Earlier this year

So the FIBA Asia Cup for women wasn't reset to a four year cycle?

Reply #943691 | Report this post

Weedy Slug  
Earlier this year

Nope.

Reply #943693 | Report this post

Hooping  
Earlier this year

named apparently

Madgen Melbourne
Whitcomb, Allen, Talbot, Borlase, Wallace
George, Tolo, Magbegor, Jackson, Smith

Reply #943695 | Report this post

Footloose  
Earlier this year

no surprises really, glad that at least Borlasse & Melbourne are in there.

Reply #943696 | Report this post

Frog39  
Earlier this year

Been so hard to judge without seeing them all together, but Would go with this option:

Melbourne
Whitcomb
Wallace - Wasn't sure about this one but she has played well in the WNBA and gives hustle and energy
Borlase - Could be a Kunek option, although I think they will go for the youth/future prospect of Borlase here
Madgen - Many question this selection but her experience and leadership are highly valued. Also back up ball handling option
Talbot
Allen
Smith
Magbegor
George - hasn't been in form for a year or so but has size and experience. They will likely still take her IMO.
Tolo
Jackson

Don't see Atwell at this level yet. Would much prefer Kunek over her. Would go with Reid before Rocci.

Reply #943697 | Report this post

Mike 14  
Earlier this year

At what point in time does 'experience' mean saying to the coach that 'I am no longer the best choice and others have gone past me'. With Jackson and Tolo playing, and a whole bunch of good WNBA players, do we need extra experience? I feel particularly sorry for Garbin- her international competition seems to have made her stronger and a better defender.

Reply #943703 | Report this post

Frog39  
Earlier this year

I agree, Garbin has improved a lot with international experience. I also feel sorry for the likes of Kunek who have improved a lot over the past few years.

It will be very interesting over the next few years as there will be a bit of turnover.

Reply #943704 | Report this post

Weedy Slug  
Earlier this year

It'll be the same old lineup with Madgen slotting in wherever the gap is.

PG Whitcomb-Wallace-Melbourne
SG Talbot-Borlase
SF Allen-Madgen
PF Magbegor-George-Smith
C Tolo-Jackson

Anything less than semis is a fail imo.

Reply #943709 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 3:28 pm, Sat 5 Oct 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754