D2.0
Two years ago

NBL Awards 2022

https://nbl.com.au/news/mvp-finalists-revealed

Bryce Cotton, Jaylen Adams and Jo Lual-Acuil Jr have been named the three finalists for the NBL's Most Valuable Player (MVP) award

Lindsay Gaze Coach of the Year
Chase Buford (Sydney Kings)
Dean Vickerman (Melbourne United)
Scott Roth (Tasmania JackJumpers)

Most Improved Player
Jo Lual-Acuil Jr (Melbourne United)
Keanu Pinder (Cairns Taipans)
Yanni Wetzell (New Zealand Breakers)

Best Sixth Man Presented by Marsh Insurance
Clint Steindl (Tasmania JackJumpers)
Shea Ili (Melbourne United)
Xavier Rathan-Mayes (Illawarra Hawks)

Damian Martin Trophy for the Best Defensive Player
Antonius Cleveland (Illawarra Hawks)
Shea Ili (Melbourne United)
Xavier Cooks (Sydney Kings)

Rookie of the Year Presented by Champion
Bul Kuol (Cairns Taipans)
Luke Travers (Perth Wildcats)
Ousmane Dieng (New Zealand Breakers)

Topic #49975 | Report this topic

koberulz  
Two years ago

Voting before the season ends is dumb.

Reply #890017 | Report this post

D2.0  
Two years ago

My Tips

MVP = Cotton. Just. Adams if he'd played the whole season.

Coach has to Roth

MIP = JLA

6th = XRM

Damo, I'm going with Cooks, but Illi has been good.

Rookie? Gotta be Dieng surely?

1st team
Adams
Cotton
Cooks
Law
JLA

2nd team
McCarron
Josh Adams
Creek
Patterson
Franks

Reply #890018 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Two years ago

MVP = Cotton. Just. Adams if he'd played the whole season.

What 26 games compared to 21 games? The Kings being 2nd to Perth's 4th should negate that as Adams has got him licked stats wise even though Cotton plays more minutes 35 vs 32 and has inferior teammates.

Cotton - 22.4 ppg @ 41.6% (37.2% 3p), 4.8 apg, 3.8 rpg, 1.5 spg

Adams - 20.1 ppg @ 43.1% (39.6% 3p), 6.1 apg, 5.1 rpg, 1.2 spg

Reply #890019 | Report this post

HighIQ  
Two years ago

Adams MVP easy choice sorry Wildcats fans and he outplayed Bryce in the Jungle!!! The other awards may see some politics or iffy selections but Adams is this years MVP.

Reply #890021 | Report this post

Mystro  
Two years ago

MVP: Adams
COTY: Roth
MIP: Pinder
BSM: Ili
DPOTY: Cooks
ROTY: Dieng

Reply #890022 | Report this post

Anonymightymouse  
Two years ago

MVP: Cotton
COTY: Roth
MIP: Lual-Acuil
BSM: Rathan-Mayes
BDP: Cooks
ROTY: Dieng

Adams was MVP of the second half of the season, but couldn't throw a beachball in the ocean in the first half. Cotton consistent at MVP level the entire season except for a small number of games.

Reply #890024 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Two years ago

Adams
Vickerman
JLA
Ili
Ili
Kuol.

Reply #890026 | Report this post

Anon  
Two years ago

MVP: Jaylen Adams
COTY: Scott Roth
MIP: Jo Lual-Acuil Jr
BSM: Shea Ili
DPOTY: Shea Ili
ROTY: Ousmane Dieng

Reply #890027 | Report this post

BeeGee  
Two years ago

I think all the awards could go to anyone, however, if Roth doesn't win COTY, there will be an uproar, absolutely deserves it!

If Roth wasn't in the equation though, you'd have to think it goes to Chase Buford.

Reply #890029 | Report this post

D2.0  
Two years ago

There's no question that Adams has outplayed Cotton this season. But if we still had the old system, this wouldn't even be a conversation. Those missing games would nix any chance he had.
The new system makes it interesting, because it's up to the voters to factor it in. It should be close. I won't be surprised either way.

On, and if you want to look at Stats, keep in mind that Adams barely cracks a mention when considering season aggregates.

Reply #890032 | Report this post

Sebastian  
Two years ago

Adams
Roth
JLA
Ili
Ili
Kuol.

Reply #890033 | Report this post

Anonymightymouse  
Two years ago

The new system gives Adams a chance, because the people voting might forget how he played early. Under a game-by-game system Cotton would have an insurmountable lead by half way.

Reply #890036 | Report this post

HighIQ  
Two years ago

We have to factor in the head to head for the MVPs and Adams killed Bryce who I think is arguably the greatest import of all time. They both lost to Adelaide but Bryce player horrible. I know people love Bryce he's basically and Aussie to most but this year he wasn’t the MVP especially when Adams was on the floor. What he did to Bryce in the jungle I’ve been watching NBL since 2010 before BC arrived and I’ve never seen him loose a match up like that. Adams-MVP easy too if sports bet has a good line Id bet a paycheque hahahah

Reply #890038 | Report this post

Lost In The Sky  
Two years ago

To me... Adams isn't the MVP when he misses over a qtr of the season, and played average at the start of it. He only got going halfway through the season.

Bryce is also played completely differently then most players in the league, to put up his numbers with the level of attention he gets night in night out is really impressive. Adams rarely copped any attention.

Clear choice for me... Cotton.

Reply #890041 | Report this post

Ratty Mussell  
Two years ago

I think that Xavier Cooks has been just as valuable to Sydney than Adams and it was evident first hand in last nights game. Cooks deserves to be in the running for MVP. His stats and value all over the court t this season has been unbelievable .Cooks in my opinion is the MVP !!!

Reply #890047 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Two years ago

Adams hasn't missed over a quarter of the season though he's played 21 games already.

I agree about Cooks he's the actual best player in the league but I guess the NBL didn't want to put two Kings players in the Top 3 finalists so threw Cotton in there as a sop to Perth fans.

Reply #890053 | Report this post

koberulz  
Two years ago

If you're going to suggest the NBL is overriding the coach/captain votes, then the awards become meaningless and we might as well not bother.

Reply #890056 | Report this post

Classified  
Two years ago

Hasn't Travers played a few seasons by now, and he is a finalist for ROTY?

Reply #890059 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Two years ago

The NBL have always had quite rubbery definitions of what constitutes a 'rookie' but Travers has been a DP until now this is his first season on the roster.

Reply #890066 | Report this post

Classified  
Two years ago

oh okay

Reply #890067 | Report this post

Anonymightymouse  
Two years ago

"If you're going to suggest the NBL is overriding the coach/captain votes, then the awards become meaningless and we might as well not bother."

Have the captains and coaches haven't voted yet? Or do they vote on the finalists as selected by a panel?

Reply #890074 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Two years ago

Presumably the votes haven't been cast yet, considering there are still some very important games left in the season

Reply #890093 | Report this post

koberulz  
Two years ago

The votes are in. The "finalist" are the top three votewinners.

Reply #890094 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Two years ago

That's ridiculous if true

Reply #890095 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Two years ago

It is true but the NBL have always fucked around with MVP voting to the point I don't know or care how they do it anymore. It was farcical the year they gave it to Bogut when it should've been Casper Ware, purely a PR stunt.

But it goes further than that remember when they gave MVP to Brian Wethers putting up numbers on a mediocre Hunter Pirates team that finished 8th. Or Brian Conklin winning MVP on a Townsville team that finished 6th in an 8 team league.

Reply #890100 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Two years ago

United were tipped to miss finals, finished minor premiers. Roth talked about JJs making the finals, probably won't. Roth has been remarkable but the old stager Vickerman has got him.

Reply #890113 | Report this post

D2.0  
Two years ago

The votes are in. The "finalist" are the top three votewinners.
That's ridiculous if true

The "Nominees" are selected by a panel.
(I don't know, but I'm guessing they select a maximum of one per team in each category, to avoid dilution.)
Coach and Captain then vote.

Yes, unfortunate it misses a couple of games, but that's a timing issue. And ultimately the voters are supposed to assess the season holistically, so basing it on 25 or 26 games is probably ok.
Also means that teams like Sydney and United can rest stars.

And yes, I believe Kober is correct, the three "finalists" are just theatrics for promotional purposes, and also so they can invite people to the ceremony without giving the results away.

Reply #890172 | Report this post

Anon  
Two years ago

D2.0 JLA beat Ili for best 6th man last year so the 2 players doesn't mean anything

Reply #890174 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Two years ago

Yes, unfortunate it misses a couple of games, but that's a timing issue.

Why is is a timing issue?
Voting must finish before the final round because ... ???

And ultimately the voters are supposed to assess the season holistically, so basing it on 25 or 26 games is probably ok.
Also means that teams like Sydney and United can rest stars.

So voters are smart enough to "assess the season holistically" but at the same time aren't smart enough not to penalise a player for being rested on the eve of the playoffs? Come on.
What if Steindl was neck and neck with the other nominees and then went HAM in the final game and got Tassie into the playoffs? And it can't be considered.
There's no way that is good or fair. So what is the benefit that offsets that obvious flaw? Timing??

Reply #890176 | Report this post

koberulz  
Two years ago

This started when they had the awards ceremony mere hours after the last game of the season. No idea what their excuse is this year.

It's also presumably the real reason they moved away from game by game voting for MVP.

Reply #890198 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Two years ago

Reply #890711 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Two years ago

Europcar Referee of the Year: Vaughan Mayberry

Reply #890713 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Two years ago

All NBL Second Team: Dellavedova, Adams, Goulding, Creek, Cooks.

Reply #890715 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Two years ago

Best Defensive Player: Antonius Cleveland

Reply #890716 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Two years ago

Most Improved Player: Keanu Pinder

Reply #890717 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Two years ago

Best Sixth Man: Shea Ili

Reply #890719 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Two years ago

"Gametime by Kmart award" (for work in the community): Jack McVeigh

Reply #890720 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Two years ago

All NBL First Team: Cotton, Adams, Cleveland, Law, Lual-Acuil Jr.

Reply #890722 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Two years ago

Rookie of the Year: Bul Kuol

Reply #890723 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Two years ago

(I probably should have made it clearer that the Adams in the 2nd team was the Josh variety)

Reply #890724 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Two years ago

Executive of the Year: Simon Edwards (NZB)

Reply #890725 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Two years ago

Fans MVP: Kai Sotto

Reply #890726 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Two years ago

Coach of the Year: Scott Roth

Reply #890727 | Report this post

koberulz  
Two years ago

No surprise Sotto got Fans MVP. Was never going to be a contest.

Reply #890728 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Two years ago

Andrew Gaze MVP Award: Jaylen Adams

Reply #890729 | Report this post

koberulz  
Two years ago

The entire show is a colossal waste of time. They only got speeches from two award winners, both pretapes?

Reply #890730 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 10:14 am, Sun 8 Sep 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754