Anonymous
Years ago

Bryce Cotton is a single point of failure

I said it before in another thread. Cotton has to do to much for this team just for them to win. Be the playmaker, make the tough shots, lead the offense every night is gonna wear on him which these last two games have shown. If they don't get another import guard when he gets citizenship they will not win. He has had no legs, shooting terrible percentages, airballs, missing easy shots he usually makes.

If he has a bad game in Finals they can guarantee it as a lost. Before he has had Nick Kay & Terrico to take pressure off him doing sooooo much.

But you guys think you know basketball just watch how this plays out if they have him playing 30+ minutes here on out & having to do everything offensive for them to score .. remember this thread

Topic #48344 | Report this topic

Luuuc  
Years ago

This is one of those "no shit, Sherlock" theories that people don't bother to bring up purely because of how obvious it is.

Reply #841840 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Topic title was just "Bryce Cotton" for anyone reading it has nothing to do with bashing Cotton who is the greatest import ever

Reply #841841 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

" This is one of those "no shit, Sherlock" theories that people don't bother to bring up purely because of how obvious it is."

As a Phoenix fan it's not obvious to everyone because they’re in 1st place going for a 3 peat. Perth has the winning culture and the best player in the league, but blinded by the fact that these past 2 seasons had arguably the best big 3 (White, Cotton, Kay) then throw two of the best defensive guards in the league (Norton/Martin). Don’t want to wish injury on anyone but every team has had a starter miss games cause of Injury, Perth has had the luxury of no one being injured YET

Reply #841842 | Report this post

Bolt  
Years ago

I'll remember it on Tuesday when he lights NZ up for 35.

Find a bin. Get in it.

Reply #841844 | Report this post

sixtiesrockstar  
Years ago

@Bolt the OP is not referencing one game. It is about the toll the workload over the season may have on Cotton. Cotton is absolutely going to have to be fresh come playoffs, especially if they get Melb in a 5 game series.

Reply #841846 | Report this post

JMS  
Years ago

You could argue that the Mooney/Blachfield combo has actually been superior to Kay/White, definitely more consistent over the journey in my opinion. The biggest impact is the loss of Martin and their overall bench depth has dropped off. Surely it's not too late to add another import so keeping Cotton fresh will be a big part of any success this year. I’d back Gleeson in to do this. Still title favourites.

Reply #841850 | Report this post

JMS  
Years ago

*surely it's too late

Reply #841851 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Once finals are locked up Gleeson will rest him, he'll be fine.

Reply #841852 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

A $600k point of failure too.

Reply #841854 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

OP, "Bryce Cotton" isn't a very good topic title. A single point of failure references exactly the situation you're describing - the suggestion that the team depends on him, and if he fails (like a cog in a machine), then the machine goes down with him.

Reply #841855 | Report this post

Lovebroker  
Years ago

I agree with the OP
I raised it previously.

Cotton plays a lot of minutes, in a season that is compressed with extra games.

That is asking for trouble given what has happened in the last couple of rounds.

Reply #841861 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hi Game has not looked the same , lots of one hand running floaters with a poor percentage. Not getting those mid range jump shots he used to do.

Reply #841862 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Until yesterday his game has still been excellent. Not as efficient scoring-wise, but still regularly burning opponents whenever he was double-teamed.
Yesterday he ran into an elite defender, was well contained, and we were found lacking in options elsewhere to compensate for it. Which is pretty much the scenario that I (and I'm guessing many others) had in mind at the start of the season when speculating that the Cats were no certainties to make the playoffs.

Reply #841865 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Everyone is struggling to shoot the ball past few games, even with Kay and white, cotton being out would be like this season.

Maybe Perth have a better program that no one is injured?

Cotton is in a slump and other player's just don’t step up, interesting if they try to upgrade either an Aussie or potentially a import. Still had a good little 9 game winning streak with cotton

Reply #841866 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Ridiculous topic title although it does highlight how much jealousy and bitterness there is on here about the 'Cats recent performance.

Reply #841869 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Maybe Perth have a better program that no one is injured?

Nah it can't possibly be that, it's just pure luck.

Reply #841870 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

No Cotton, no Perth.

If he naturalises and Perth brings in another import that will help immensely.

With the current lineups, I'd back United or SEM (at full strength or close) in a 5 game series against Perth.

Reply #841878 | Report this post

LITS  
Years ago

According to the Sunday Times... Cotton's citizenship is likely to be finalized in the next few weeks.

Reply #841879 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yeah they said that a year ago.

Reply #841880 | Report this post

Bol  
Years ago

Its still the same concern that was talked about at the start of the season and they've done okay so far. With the league reducing teams to 2 imports and with the loss of Kay it was always going to be tough to strengthen their shooting depth. Cotton has had to shoulder more of the load and he's been shooting better than ever. Hes the fittest player in the league and and they'll manage his minutes towards the end of the season. Steindl is an x factor for them. If he can rediscover his consistency of last season it makes them much more dangerous.

The question should be what else could they have done to address the issue? Maybe they could have gone harder to lure good Aussie talent like a broekhoff. What is Motum doing? If Cottons citizenship comes through their greatest need would be a Center or a 4/5 that can shoot from range would be ideal. I doubt they would be getting an import guard unless they find a quality Aussie big from somewhere.

Reply #841881 | Report this post

Perth fan.  
Years ago

Everyone knows we are due an all Victorian grand final.

Saw that in Sunday Times too re Cotton citizenship. Would have to be in place by game 27, Perth have now played 20 games.

Reply #841883 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"If he naturalises and Perth brings in another import that will help immensely"

Does that need to happen in the next 4-5 weeks (8 games)? So there are 9 games left for a new import to play before finals. Or is there no longer a rule for minimum games to qualify players for the playoffs?

Reply #841905 | Report this post

Perth fan.  
Years ago

The rule hasn't changed. 25% which is 9 games.

Reply #841920 | Report this post

Perth fan.  
Years ago

The OP is a cockhead.
Cotton will bounce back he doesn't have two shit games in a row.

Reply #841921 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

" The OP is a cockhead.
Cotton will bounce back he doesn't have two shit games in a row."

You're definitely a “cockhead” read the damn whole post not bits & pieces. OP stated he is still by far the best player in the league but has also had 2 shit games back to back Sydney & Adelaide, missing easy shots/layups he usually makes & more airballs than usual

23 pts ... 9-25 is not good
10 pts ... 3-15 is not good

We know he’ll bounce back but OP is stating that him doing so much will weigh on him, we don’t know if Perth will just stall him until playoffs when the qualify for Finals. They want a 1st seed nothing lower, they want home court advantage ..

Reply #841954 | Report this post

sixtiesrockstar  
Years ago

Perth fan

The OP is not saying Cotton won't score points next game. The OP might be proven right. Cotton won't be able to be rested as they need to get homecourt advantage. Having to put up a lot shots, deal with heavy defensive tags and score minimum number of points to win will have a toll. Although Cotton being the star he is, will probably do it all again, be finals mvp and go down as one of greatest NBL players ever.

Reply #841955 | Report this post

Kb_24  
Years ago

Relax and chill...Perth will win chips..

Reply #841973 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Conspiracy theory/brilliant idea. Why not bring in new import and sit Mooney so new import can get some more games to qualify. Losing Mooney in short term is big, but gaining extra import for finals could be vital.

Reply #841975 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The only cockhead here is yet another Perth Fan.

Reply #841977 | Report this post

Perth fan.  
Years ago

Lol.

Reply #841981 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If perth didn't miss a heap of open shots then cotton probably has 8 assists or more. No injuries, didn't we lose majok? He could easily be starting at centre.

Reply #841985 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Steindl missed a few games too. And Norton played through his injury because he's not a pussy.

Reply #841986 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Majok starting centre? Hahahahaha. #deluded

Reply #841996 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Didn't majok start for United? Pretty sure with how the cars feel he likely starts with mooney at the 4.

Reply #842026 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He also started a number of games for Perth last season.

Reply #842034 | Report this post

Senator11  
Years ago

With 2 imports Majok was always meant to start with Mooney playing at PF.

Reply #842053 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Majok starting centre? Hahahahaha. #deluded

Sure, it might sound funny at first, until you realise that Jarred Bairstow is the starting PF on a team that is 15-5.

Reply #842054 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

And a Dp was the starting 4 before that

Reply #842055 | Report this post

Perth fan.  
Years ago

Majok is a big loss. Would have been better than Bairstow or Travers as a starter.

Reply #842057 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

But perth doesn't face any adversity

Reply #842091 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You're delusional if your comparing Majok to injuries such as
Adelaide - Humphries
Sydney - DJ, Cooks
United - White, Goulding, LLi, Hopson
Phoenix - Sykes (Didn’t miss a beat w/o him to be honest)
Breakers - Websters, Patterson(Out of shape)
Brisbane - Vic Law

Reply #842119 | Report this post

Senator11  
Years ago

Not 1 person has compared Majoks injury to anyone else's, stop making things up.

He WAS the starting C, and Perth had to adjust the starting 5 without him, pretty simple and factual.

Reply #842187 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Bryce Cotton Last 5 Games

9-25 = 23 pts
3-15 = 10 pts
9-22 = 15fts of 34 pts
6-21 = 18 pts
4-17 = 12 pts

31 FG%
17 3FG%
We have never seen him shoot this bad for this long
He looks exhausted out there

When he gets his citizenship I believe they need a guard that can help lead this offense but can get score as well. He's getting the best defender every night for the whole game and having to deal with double teams. He needs that pressure to be taken off of him, so he doesn't have to work so hard to get a bucket.

Reply #843417 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^^^ yep

Reply #843427 | Report this post

Perth fan.  
Years ago

That's the thing though people crap on about his citizenship constantly.
It's not going to happen in time for playoffs.

Reply #843428 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yes and for years we have had to put up with how frikkin good we will be with another import. That's one reason Perth are so hated. Arrogance.

Reply #843429 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The real reason Perth is hated is because they've won five titles out of the past seven.

Reply #843433 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

4.5, if you give half points for the asterisk, but your point stands.

Reply #843439 | Report this post

Hk  
Years ago

Cotton is a legend. Had a rough couple of games but any team in the league would have him in a heartbeat. I have been watching him for what 4-5 years now and I reckon I could count his bad games on 1 hand. Last year I could count Casper wares bad games on 10 hands. Good to see Casper bounce back this year too.

Reply #845315 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

" Cotton is a legend. Had a rough couple of games but any team in the league would have him in a heartbeat. I have been watching him for what 4-5 years now and I reckon I could count his bad games on 1 hand. Last year I could count Casper wares bad games on 10 hands. Good to see Casper bounce back this year too"

Thanks for the stating obvious we know he's a Legend still doesn’t take the fact away that he’s gonna have to drop 30+ & lead the offense to beat the other top 3 teams ... he’s needs guard play help

Reply #845372 | Report this post

Perth fan.  
Years ago

White and Lo Buluk are spuds. So other than Norton who is a defensive player, Perth have no backcourt support.

Reply #845377 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Time to bring this back ... I promise you if he didn't have to carry that heavy ass load he doesn’t get hurt but you guys think you know it all carry on.

Praying for his health, but he won’t be 100% time playoffs start & might not be in game shape right away when he’s cleared to practice again

Please go get him a import guard next season when his citizenship is cleared alongside Mooney if they can afford him if he doesn’t go to the NBA

Reply #849482 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He copped a corkie from an illegal screen during the Brisbane game. How is that related to his workload?

Reply #849483 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

I completely disagree with the OP's premise.

All other things being equal, Cotton is the perennial MVP. Obviously he is a great (NBL) player, and the Cats make full use of that. Naturally you take that out, and it hurts the Cats. That's not a theory, it's just reality. Even if they could somehow replace him with Ware, it would still be a net loss.

But to say they are to(sic) reliant on him, is incorrect. Of all teams, the Cats play a very structured team-first system. they are best able to compensate for the loss of a key player.

It's not as though they made a concious choice to rely too much on Cotton. Each team (except Sydney) was only allowed two imports. Perth got the best two in the league, so you can't do much more than that.

Reply #849908 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

My do aussies use the word ass. Ridiculous.

Reply #849910 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

At which position are Blanchfield, Wagstaff and Steindl playing most of their minutes?

Reply #849929 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

3, 4, 3/2

Reply #849938 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

What about Travers? I wouldn't be confident overplaying Steindl.

Reply #849955 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Travers is a 4.

Reply #849956 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Travers could play both forward positions, and even take ball handling duties.

Reply #849958 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Yeah, he can play a bit of point forward.
Playing SF is still a work in progress, but I could see it being fast-tracked over the next few weeks. That's going to come down to him being willing & able to hit threes. Not sure he is there yet.

Reply #849961 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

Travers would play the 3 in some teams, but doesn't demonstrate the consistent outside shot to play big minutes on the wing in Trev's system. But he does get some time there.

Steindl runs hot and cold. The strategy seems to be to bring him in off the bench, run a few plays for him, and see if he gets going. When he does, he'll get good minutes.

Reply #849977 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 12:22 pm, Sun 6 Oct 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754