Bol
Years ago

Trevor Gleeson appreciation thread

I admit ive been a critic of his for a long time but i cant deny he knows how to get the best out of his players and have them all playing their system perfectly. He out coached vickerman this series and in many peoples eyes deserved to be the COTY. In the post game interview there was raw emotion from Dawn Gleeson in a reminder of what they have been going though together on a personal level and how much pressure hes had to deal with behind the scenes and from external media. To still be able to lead the club to a fourth championship deserves massive respect. I know that im a convert and the job should still be his if he wants it. It will be interesting to see if he re-signs or embarks on a new challenge.

Topic #44978 | Report this topic

LV  
Years ago

I've never liked Gleeson, ever since he went on an expletive laden rant at Lucas Walker at a Tigers pre season game, easily heard by the small crowd at The Cage who were sitting behind the Tigers bench- including many small children.

But, his record speaks for itself.

You can use the "but he had talent" argument. Poor argument imo. There are loads of talented teams. Only one wins the title each year.

Also, the Cats have not only won grand finals but they've won them easily. In a best of 3 or a best of 5, there's nowhere to hide. Two teams have an opportunity to learn the other inside out. And Gleeson's Cats have won many series emphatically.

Summary. I can't stand the guy. But you can't deny his record. It's simply outstanding.

Reply #738575 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Actually it wasn't even a pre season "game", it was more of a mid week open invite scratch match against a college outfit. But Gleeson went off his chops at fan favorite Lucas Walker.

I guess that is the one X mark against Gleeson's record- his unsuccessful stint at the Tigers.

But he did alright in Townsville before that.

If you were ranking the great NBL coaches he'd have to be very high on the list.

Reply #738576 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He went off at Waxy and was probably right.

Reply #738579 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

I've never understood the hatred aimed at Gleeson.
Yes he carries on a bit on the sidelines, but less so than some others.

And the simple fact is that he knows what he's doing.
And fact is he has gotten the best out of this lineup. Obviously he he ably supported by the development coaches, but has still done a superb job.

Reply #738581 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Great coach just nauseating to listen whinging on the side line all the time.

Reply #738584 | Report this post

Btown  
Years ago

"guess that is the one X mark against Gleeson's record- his unsuccessful stint at the Tigers."
Well it was only 1 season and lost mills half way through. Wouldn't really call it a stint let alone an x

Reply #738588 | Report this post

Just  
Years ago

The real coach of the year. Can't figure out how he lost to Vickerman, let alone not make the top 3.

Reply #738592 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Neilson is a quality coach now, kings could do a lot worse, Perth will probably up his pay to keep him and Gleeson together. Brandt and Kay have improved so much and even Vague showed good glimpses of improvement as well.

Reply #738601 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

well done mate

Reply #738618 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

whats goin on with his contract negotiations - does he not want to come back or is he holding out for more money? Or is he just looking for a new challenge, maybe heading back to the US to be closer to Dawn's family?

Reply #738694 | Report this post

TimberBall  
Years ago

Was on the radio this morning saying that negotiations are on going but wont start up again till Thursday after "Wacky Wednesday'

Reply #738853 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Never understood the Gleeson hate. The guy has proven time and time again that if you get everyone on the same page the X and O's aren't as important. Loved the way Perth played (and hurts me to say that).
Watching United on the other hand, poorly coached in the finals and looked like a team of individuals who hated playing defense.

Reply #738948 | Report this post

Hoopie  
Years ago

Agree apart from your comment about 'hated playing defense'.

Ware and McCarron defended hard despite all the hits they took.

Reply #738957 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Fair call Hoopie. I suppose I was frustrated watching Goulding whinge and moan about all the missed or poor calls !! Ware and McCarron were 10/10 for effort.

Reply #738988 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

I suppose it comes down to whether there are any new challenges on offer.

Would a US College look at an NBL coach? Would Gleeson see that as a step up? What about an assistant role in the NBA?

Reply #738998 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 5:19 pm, Fri 18 Oct 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754