Tiger
Years ago

What chance of Bryce Cotton becoming a Boomer

Bryce Cotton is clearly the best player in the NBL and seems to have been in Australia for years. Whats the process of him being eligible to represent Australia?.
I know there was talk of Torrey Craig becoming a Aussie before being drafted to the NBA. Kevin Lisch is now an Aussie and plays for the Boomers.

Topic #44334 | Report this topic

MACDUB  
Years ago

Definitely possible.

In a recent June article he said "I feel at home" when asked about signing a 3 year deal with Perth.

Lisch is on his way out so the naturalised spot is certainly going to be open;

Reply #717690 | Report this post

Food for thought  
Years ago

Not sure how long you have to be here to be naturalized but I think he's probably still a few seasons away. Having said that, if he were, he'd be a shoe in for all the B grade Boomers teams that play in the Asia games. His ability to nab an Olympic or World Cup spot would depend on the performance of Delly and the availability of other guards. But I'd definitely want to give the guy a shot.

Reply #717695 | Report this post

Hogwash  
Years ago

2023/24 Cotton would be eligible (if he naturalises)by then and will be 31/32.
A lot will depend on form and how his body holds up.

Other things to consider such as will Mills (35) still be playing and if so would the Boomers need two undersized shooting guards.
Josh Green should be in the mix by then and is probably the shooting guard of the future

Reply #717710 | Report this post

Curtley  
Years ago

Andray Blatche basically became a Filipino resident who qualified for their national team before even playing there because the Phillipine senate made it happen. Couldn't Dutton do an au pair special and rush Donovan Mitchell's paper's through?

Reply #717714 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Historically, naturalised Americans who have made the national team haven't had a major impact at the international level.

Reply #717719 | Report this post

Senator11  
Years ago

I think that's because our naturalised players never got the chance. I remember when games where Grace and Redhage played bugger all minutes, but their stats were fantastic. Fisher could have been another one too, but I can't remember.

Reply #717721 | Report this post

AD  
Years ago

Could we get him done in time for 2020?

It's funny, Hire was joking about getting him Naturalised in a recent interview

Reply #717722 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Leroy Loggins was another. Maybe it is because they are typically coming to the end of their career when they become available.

Reply #717724 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Best scorer in NBL*

Reply #717728 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Redhage looked out of his depth internationally but I distinctly remember Grace getting robbed of minutes big time and it was to the detriment of the Boomers. I think that was in the Barry Barnes era but could be remembering wrong.

Reply #717729 | Report this post

Cram  
Years ago

I think Grace deserved more minutes, but at the same time, that team finished 4th to a very good Lithuanian team.

Lisch is one that looked a little out of his depth in Rio too.

These days, as good as the talent in the NBL is, even the stars are only likely to be bit players at major championship level, if we're looking to be a chance to win medals.

Reply #717731 | Report this post

Senator11  
Years ago

Didn't Grace play under Smyth? Could be wrong too, I just remember Smyth being a coach who made our naturalised import redundant.

Reply #717734 | Report this post

Cram  
Years ago

Nah Grace played in the 2000 Olympic team under Barnes behind Heal and Gaze.

When Smyth took over after that, virtually everybody retired, and we lost the 2001 Oceania series against NZ with DMac and Maher as our only guards (not even joking, we only had 2 guards in a 10 man team). In the end guys like Egan and Nash spent time at the 2, and Maher/Dmac alternated at PG.

And that was the end of Smyth.

Reply #717736 | Report this post

Senator11  
Years ago

Cheers Cram. Coach list below.

Australia Lindsay Gaze - 1972–1984, 1994
Australia Dr. Adrian Hurley – 1985–1993
Australia Barry Barnes – 1995–2000
Australia Phil Smyth – 2001
United States Brian Goorjian – 2001–2008
United States Brett Brown – 2009–2012
Australia Andrej Lemanis – 2013–present

Reply #717738 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Brian goorjian is now aussie

Reply #717740 | Report this post

Cram  
Years ago

I'm trying to remember how bad that 2001 team was.

Sure it got hurt by the retirements of all of our top line guys (Heal, Gaze, Vlahov, Bradtke, Longley, Grace all retired from international ball) but it was still poor.

Dmac / Maher
Nash / Egan
McGregor
Derek Moore
Axel Dench

Anyone else remember who was on that team? From memory they played the "Goodwill games" with 12 and then the Oceania quals with 10.

I think at least one of Rillie and James Harvey was available but not selected.

Really was one of the worst moments of Aussie basketball.

Reply #717741 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Between Exum, Mills and Delly, would there really be the opportunity for him?

I love Cotton and would welcome him in a Boomers jersey, but I feel like it's at a pretty deep position for us, and skill-set wise also a bit redundant given how Mills has been our go-to shooter/scorer for years now. You can't really play Cotton with another PG.. he'd basically be a last resort microwave on the full strength Aus team imo. It's funny, because usually a on-ball shot creator is a sort of premium most international teams would jump at the chance of acquiring, but I think our needs are different.

He'd make a massive difference to our B-grade Boomer lineups we throw around when the NBA guys aren't available, though. We're weak at PG as it is running guys like Cadee out there, but Cotton would instantly become the #1 option on those squads and help carry the offense and get other guys in more ideal roles.

But back to the main Aus team. This is our squad (how I see it) -

Exum / Delly
Mills / Green
Ingles / Broekoff
Simmons / Bolden
Bogut / Baynes / Maker

(I treat Exum/Mills as a combo where Mills defends the 1 and Exum the 2 but offensively play the inverse positions)

The way I see it, the potential holes here are the 2/3/4. Mills isn't a true SG, Green is totally dependent on his development on whether he's ready to contribute, Broekoff can play 2 but would leave SF weak, and Bolden's relatively unproven backing up PF, where we don't have another option really.

So personally, while I think Cotton's the better player, I think we'd be best adding in one of Deng Adel or Mitch Creek for wing depth, or a Brock Motum type PF insurance.

Reply #717742 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Dmac / Maher
Nash / Egan
McGregor
Derek Moore
Axel Dench

Anyone else remember who was on that team?

Nielsen, Melmeth,... Saville too I think?

Reply #717751 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Fisher was good in Atlanta

Grace never got any minutes in Sydney. Too many untouchable Sacred Cows in that era. Trying to run your entire team as the "Andrew Gaze Show" may have worked in the NBL, but nobbled us Internationally.
Maybe if Drewey hadn't been such a Daddy's boy and softer than a mouldy dishrag, he could actually played in his proper position of SF, he still could have had his BB at SG, and our team could have actually had a fucking PG.

We should have medalled in Sydney, but pissed away a golden opportunity.

Reply #717754 | Report this post

Hogwash  
Years ago

Was Schenscher part of the Boomers in 2001?

Reply #717757 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Alright you wildcat fans someone offer up a sister for Bryce to marry

Reply #717758 | Report this post

Food for thought  
Years ago

I think the Boomers need to keep developing contingency plans and blooding new players. Most of our main guys won't be there by 2024. This is the strongest the Boomers have ever been but a changing of the guard is only just over the horizon. Bryce Cotton should definitely be in the Boomers plans moving forward. You can never have too much talent to choose from.

As for Grace I remember distinctly the game against USA. He hit 8 straight points I think, turned the game around, got a steal, and then was rewarded with a seat on the bench so Shane Heal could continue struggling. Barry Barnes coaches us out of a medal that year.

Reply #717765 | Report this post

Young Gun  
Years ago

Just to clear something up... Nash didn't get picked to play in the Oceania series. He played for that squad, but in the Goodwill Games, & has some good stories about playing against a young Shawn Marion & Baron Davis :)

IMHO Grace would have distributed the ball way better than Heal & played better D. Longley & the bigs often had to cover for Gaze & Heal's defensive deficiencies. Barnes was a joke as coach... running the shuffle with Luc out in the feeder position was a waste of his natural ability.

From memory, naturalised Aussies don't do well with the Boomers... previous poster may be right... they're just too old by the time they qualify.

I get the sense that our immigration rules have tightened significantly since the good old days.

Reply #717768 | Report this post

Young Gun  
Years ago

"Nielsen, Melmeth,... Saville too I think?"

Can't remember Nielsen on that team. Melmeth was. Pretty sure that Saville & Mackinnon were both out for that series.

Reply #717769 | Report this post

Senator11  
Years ago

History will repeat and Cadee will get minutes over Bryce just like Heal over Grace.

Reply #717776 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Not sure if it still does but if the old 4 year rule still applies this being Cotton's third season he would be eligible to naturalise after next season.

Reply #717784 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Can't remember Nielsen on that team. Melmeth was. Pretty sure that Saville & Mackinnon were both out for that series.

OK, after looking around a bit more I'm pretty sure that the team for the Oceania series was

McDonald
Maher
Saville
Nielsen
Melmeth
--
McGregor
Egan
Moore
Knight
Dench

Reply #717787 | Report this post

Cram  
Years ago

Luuuuc. That looks right. I remember Saville at times playing PG and Cal Bruton joking that CJ was just sitting at home watching. Madness.

Reply #717799 | Report this post

Hogwash  
Years ago

Easy to see why we missed out on 2002 world cup that roster is an unfortunate reminder.

Losing established veterans like Gaze, Bradtke, Longley and Vlahov wasn't going to help.

Reply #717802 | Report this post

AnkleBreaker  
Years ago

Don't worry so much about getting the imports naturalised....get them breeding with our locals.

Simmons NBL import - boom we get Ben Simmons
Cecil Exum NBL import - boom we get Dante Exum
Kendall Pinder NBL import - boom we get 10 years jail term but also Keanu Pinder

The success of Australian basketball is not in naturalising the imports but their children being future Aussie born and bred stars!

Reply #717904 | Report this post

Young Gun  
Years ago

"Don't worry so much about getting the imports naturalised....get them breeding with our locals."

The Betoota Advocate ran a story on an initiative called GrassROOTS along the lines of what you're describing... the article is here:

https://www.betootaadvocate.com/sports/nbl-grassroots-program-mostly-based-around-encouraging-american-players-to-have-kids-here/

One of Andre Moore's kids is doing pretty well at AFL & don't forget Jonah Bolden :)

Reply #717920 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

CJ Bruton was the pilot program.

Reply #717926 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Dre has 8 kids.

Reply #717927 | Report this post

Huskypup  
Years ago

Pretty sure you have to spend most of you time in Oz. If you continue to go back to the States you wont be eligible. Is this applicable to Cotton? IDK.

Reply #717935 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

CJ Bruton was the pilot program.

CJ was born in the states, but grew up in Aus.

I do think Boomers management has been highly partisan at times. I seem to recall Heal calling his own subs during Olympics, even when he had bad games. Not nocking Heal over all here. He had some huge offensive games, but IMO was too tight with Barnes, and had too much influence.

I think Heal and Gaze were both shooting guards primarily. Not always the best at running an offense or defending perimeter play at that level.

Reply #718073 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"I do think Boomers management has been highly partisan at times. I seem to recall Heal calling his own subs during Olympics, even when he had bad games. Not nocking Heal over all here. He had some huge offensive games, but IMO was too tight with Barnes, and had too much influence.

I think Heal and Gaze were both shooting guards primarily. Not always the best at running an offense or defending perimeter play at that level."

Barnes was a dud, who let Gaze & Heal lead him around by his dick.

Heal was only ever a short SG with a bad attitude, Couldn't run the point to save his life.
Both were past their international use-by, but allowed to skate on the back of their shooting. Unfortunately they were week as piss on defence, and it showed.

Far too much drinking of the coolaid about them being the best players in the Country, In a team that had Longely, Anstey, MacKinnon, Bradke and Rogers. Barnes ran the entire fucking offence to suit the bobsie sisters, and kept the best PG this country has ever seen sitting on the fucking bench.

Reply #718675 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 6:23 pm, Fri 18 Oct 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754